Persephone Abbott's Reviews > La chute

La chute by Albert Camus

May 16, 12

At times the backdrop, the city of Amsterdam, for this “confession” was distracting to me because I live in Holland. Camus visited Amsterdam once apparently for a few days to give a reading. His depiction of the canal ringed city is fairly one dimensional and he perhaps uses the concept of northern Europe to his own invention. However, the story of the aging human being from innocence, disillusion, mid life crisis, and confession before death is phenomenal. A real insight to the human psyche through the Judeo-Christian world of guilt, and the use of God, who is then God or whom does God represent? I particularly enjoyed the discourse on Christ, who might have been so guilt ridden that so many infants were massacred in his name around the time of his birth that he just wanted to get it over with and went willingly to the cross. Then of course, the piece of art at the end, the best stab at eternity stolen and hanging out in a bar called Mexico City. All very entertaining. A book, as others here have said, to re-read….leisurely.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La chute.