Jessie Potts's Reviews > The Reapers are the Angels

The Reapers are the Angels by Joshua Gaylord

Oct 27, 14

bookshelves: amazing-reads, dystopia
Read in April, 2012, read count: 4

Who balances out the world? Is there some sort of crazy checks and balance system that a higher being tallies up? Things that seem unfair to us.... are they actually pre-destined?

This book is serious and dark. It's also compelling, haunting, an old melody that you remember from long ago, yet are missing notes. The lead character had me at her first conversation with a meatbag. Here's this 15 year old girl who's been surviving since she knew what a zombie was, and she still has humanity in her. I suppose that's what makes all great people, that even in times of direness, of blood and unfairness, that spark of humanity of what's right and then what should be done. That line is usually blurry and not easy to spot. Temple thinks she's evil. She kills, even for survival, taking another creature of god is evil. She kills to protect, someone dies who she fails to protect, and yet it is still killing. She knows that her organs and heart are made up of twisted bits that have grown since her brother Malcolm died.
The journey she finds herself on can be one of many things. It's for survival yes, yet also an engaging one about who she is and who she kills to protect. An enemy seems to be the only other one who understands the gravity of life and death, of nature and god. Though he swears to hunt her down for killing her brother, their exchanges are philosophical and deep. I teared up at the end. It was as if my brain couldn't figure out whether the ending gave Temple what she wanted, what she needed, or nothing. She sees the strings that attach fate and miracles. Maybe she got her own.

It's really a novel that will stick with me. The type of narrative it is sort of blunts the readers to the violence, not hearing her voice from her, but from a third person, yet everything happens in real time. I think that not explaining why there are zombies actually made the novel more realistic. We were thrown in to a spot in time of Temple's life, she's not going to be thinking about how it started, for her it always was. This is one that I will pass on to a select few who I believe will appreciate it as much as I did.

*also reviewed on amazon*
One of my top 2010 books (I adore this one)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reapers are the Angels.

Quotes Jessie Liked

Alden Bell
“God is a slick god. Temple Knows. She knows because of all the crackerjack miracles still to be seen on this ruined globe.”

Alden Bell
“You somehow make it outta here and track me down, you best come with a furious rage--because I got no use for your sympathy.”

Alden Bell
“In her own experience she's learned that happiness and sadness find their own level no matter what's biting you, mosquitoes or meatskins.”

Alden Bell
“The world, it treats you kind enough so long as you're not fightin against it.”

Alden Bell
“Sometimes you gotta bust apart to get yourself put back together.”

04/06/2012 page 175
78.0% "This is one of my all time favorite books, I'm currently listening to the audio book and the narrator did fabulous! I'm sure I'll still cry at the final showdown"