Lesley's Reviews > The Birth of Venus

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

Mar 30, 08

Read in March, 2008

I read this title for a book club and from the description, I thought it would make for a very good discussion. Unfortunately, the story did not live up to the expectations created by the inside flap.

If you like historical fiction, it does have a fairly interesting depiction of Renaissance Florence going for it--and I did learn some things along the way, like I usually do with good historial fiction. However, without giving too much away, the ending and the character development greatly disappointed me. This book also fails to deliver on its promise of mystery and a potentially riveting side plot.

That being said, as a quick vacation or casual read, it's not a terrible choice. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it as a good book discussion choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birth of Venus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Galen Johnson Our book club read it also, and it was the one book out of our 28 thus far that was universally disliked. We could barely have a serious discussion at all, because every time we brought up a scene we would all start giggling at how ridiculous it was. The historical perspective was about all it had going for it. Glad to hear we weren't the only ones who took issue with it as a topic for real discussion!