Arlene's Reviews > In Honor

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, ya-contemporary, reviews-with-music, military-war, young-adult
Read from June 30 to July 01, 2012

During the Summer Luvin' Tour, Kirby read an excerpt of this novel and upon hearing that it involved a road trip I was all sorts of excited. However, I was quickly grounded when I discovered why Honor, the protag, embarks on this road trip in the first place. See, Honor should be planning for the most exciting time of her life… her freshmen year in college; however she is dealt a devastating blow when she learns that her brother is killed while fighting in Iraq. Hours after her brother’s funeral, she opens a letter that Finn sent to her before he died. In the letter she finds two tickets to a farewell concert for one of her favorite musicians and his wish to her is that she have the time of her life. So, she takes off from Texas to California with the unwanted company of Finn’s best friend Rusty. Along the way, they attempt to find a way to move passed the pain of losing Finn and mending their once close friendship while they journey toward a new chapter in their lives.

In Honor is my first experience with Kirby’s writing; and I have to say it had a quiet strength about it that I really enjoyed. The characters weren’t over the top, the plot was engaging yet surreal, and the flow was constantly moving. Gather these elements in one novel and I’d like to call that impactful. One thing I liked about Kirby is that she doesn’t use excessive descriptors and long flowing paragraphs to get her point across. She keeps her story short and to the point which adds that element of a brief but powerful journey with her characters. Where this novel is light on the romance, it is heavy on self discovery and true heart, which worked perfectly for In Honor.

I have to say I love road trips but more importantly, it was the military service theme that provided the emotional punch I was hoping for. I commend Kirby for taking on this topic that surprisingly not many YA authors attempt. To remind us that there are men and women sacrificing their time and lives to protect our freedom and the luxuries I often take for granted, is a topic I hope more writers incorporate into their contemporary works. So I applaud Kirby enthusiastically for her well written novel that does a great job tackling this topic along with the subjects of friendship, loss, and self-discovery… to do so in such a succinct novel was impressive. Great job!

Song Choice:
In My Remains - Linkin Park

winter haven books
**This review can be found at WinterHaven Books.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Honor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jul 02, 2012 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

~Tina~ I really enjoyed this book but I had to give it a three star cause (view spoiler)

message 2: by Arlene (last edited Jul 03, 2012 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene I reallying liked this book too! (view spoiler) I really liked the story, the road trip and the military theme. For my first Kirby book, I was pleased. I have Moonglass that I picked up at the signing and I can't wait to read that.

I'm posting my review for this on the blog tomorrow. I'm excited!! :)

~Tina~ (view spoiler)

Arlene (view spoiler)

message 5: by Dija (new)

Dija Fabulous review, Arlene! You're right, the military theme is usually neglected in YAs. I'm glad this turned out to be better than you expected. :D

message 6: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza oh my god. you're the first person ive met who actually knows any of LP's new album's songs. haha, seeing that song up there totally made me day :D i am crrrrazy about LP!

Arlene Thank you Dija! Exactly! I hope more authors take on this subject. Yes, I really enjoyed it. :)

LOL Aleeza. I've been a fan of theirs since th beginning. I always look forward to something new from them. This new album is awesome!

~Tina~ Amazing review sweet! As always;)

message 9: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza Arlene wrote: "Thank you Dija! Exactly! I hope more authors take on this subject. Yes, I really enjoyed it. :)

i was so disappointed with what i heard from a thousand suns i didnt bother to even check out the whole album. and i'd had every single of theirs from their first 3 album pretty much memorized, so it was quite a blow. and then just when i thought it was over b/w us, i hear burn it down and promptly d/load their whole new album and it is sooo good! yeah, i talk too much about things im into :D

♥Rachel♥ Great review Arlene. I agree with the spoilers between you and Tina. (view spoiler) But overall I enjoyed the book. Moonglass IMO was just okay but I hope you enjoy it. :)

Arlene @ Tina. Thanks so much. XD

@ Aleeza, I downloaded Burn it Down when it first became available and I've been pining for this album since. I have all of the albums and I think my fave of theirs so far is My December. Oh I can talk about them forever too. I get ya. :D

@ Rachel. Thank you so much. Yes, there were a few moments I didn't agree with, but overall it was a good reading experience. Okay, now I'm curious about Moonglass. I was getting the Raw Blue feeling from the cover, but me thinks I might be way off. :/