Christi Snow's Reviews > Succubus Blues

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in October, 2011

My Review:
Seriously, I was blown away by this book. I am not usually a fan of Urban Fantasy. I hate the fact that I don't necessarily get an Happily-Ever-After, but I may just have to change my mind with this series. OMG, this book was so incredibly fabulous!! But it wasn't fabulous in the ways that normally make a book fabulous for me.

This is an incredibly complex world and at the center of it is Georgina Kincaid...a succubus. She was mortal at one point in time, but she gave up her mortality because she hurt the love of her life. She's flawed. She makes bad choices sometimes, but at her heart, she is a good person. She broke his heart and couldn't stand that so she made a deal with an Imp...she gave up her mortality so that her love wouldn't remember her or the heartache that she caused him.

Another flawed character in this book is Seth. He's human. He's a writer and sometimes he gets so caught up in his novels that he forgets everything, including those he loves...for months on end. But like Georgina, at his heart, is a really good wonderful person. He's shy. He's quirky. He's a brilliant writer. He's so sincere and so intuitive...he's just an absolutely fabulous character. He sees Georgina. He sees everyone. He has a writer's ability to observe, but he truly sees Georgina...even at her worst, and he sees the good in her.

Then there's Roman. I don't want to give away any spoilers with his character, but he's also flawed...in a big way, but I still liked him and could feel for him. I've peeked ahead at the story lines in the upcoming books and hope/think that there is still a promise of something good there.

The entire series is based around the bookstore where Georgina Kincaid works. Awesome background for the story line. She is also surrounded by a wonderful group of characters: Jerome (demon) and Carter (angel) who are best friends and in charge of the immortal world in Seattle, Hugh (imp), Peter & Cody (vampires...one old and one new), and Doug (human) who also works at the bookstore. It is such a wonderful group of characters. I really love this world.

There is a LOT of depth to this story too. The author's bio says that Richelle Mead has an MA in Comparative Religion and she puts that to work in this book. There is lots of talk of religion and how the demons and nephilim came to be without the book becoming religious. It's really pretty interesting. There is a great story line. A great romance. No HEA, but there is the hope and promise of a good HEA and that is good enough for me especially when the book is this incredibly good!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus Blues.