Elizabeth Kelly's Reviews > What I Loved

What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt

Aug 17, 11

"It is a book of two distinct halves. Set in SoHo, New York City, the first half is rather more positive as two couples' progress through early adulthood - marriage and children. The second half focuses more on the children and how their fates affect each of the adults' lives.

Through the main character, Leo, a professor of art history, you are introduced to Bill an up-and-coming artist who's affair results in inevitable divorce and a broken home for his son. Leo's family life is happier to begin with - a happy marriage and a son, until the son dies and his marriage breaks down. He then develops an attachment to Bill's son, for whom a mixed up childhood and being torn between an uncaring mum and his father's new wife results in a descent into a hedonistic and amoral lifestyle which hurts everyone around him.

It is not the happiest of books, but it is well written and for the most part the characters are engaging. At times though the novel feels over-intellectualised, especially the frequent sections on modern art and psychology."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Loved.