Cărăşălu's Reviews > The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Jan 03, 13

Read from January 02 to 03, 2013

Very, very pessimistic. A fable about the nature of Man and of God from a distinctly Darwinian perspective. Can Man imitate God? Can Dr. Moreau create beings "in his own image"? Can he make humans out of animals? He fails repeatedly, as the new creatures reverse to their beastly origins. He tries to prevent this with the Law. He limits their thoughts with a Law implanted in their minds, meant to prevent them from certain "bad" thoughts. These limits are meant to help and protect the new creatures. It's obvious that the Law refers to religious law like those of Christiany. But, it occured to me, can Moreau's creatures become truly human whole their mind is shackled like this? Isn't freedom of thought and of feeling precisely what drives the human being towards higher reaches? This Law limits the progress, the evolution of these beings more than it does prevent their regress, their involution.

But without Moreau and without the Law, what happens to these creatures? What happens to the Modern Man when "freed" from religion and God? In this book, the creatures reverse to their origins. So is man truly ready for freedom? If the old God and Law are gone, can they be replaced? In the book, Prendick fails to replace Moreau and his assistant. Does this mean that there can be no more moral and spiritual authority for the Modern Man? It reminds me about Freud's pessimism about the dangerous impulses lurking and the dark depth of the human being. H. G. Wells is afraid of the same. If we have evolved from animals, what assurance is that we won't slip back?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island of Dr. Moreau.