John Harder's Reviews > My Losing Season: A Memoir

My Losing Season by Pat Conroy

Jul 26, 11

I am a fan of Pat Conroy, but I found it hard to relate to this autobiographical account of a year of basketball at the Citadel. Except for women’s pool (there is much bending over) I am not a sports fan. Bouncing a ball around a big room with sweaty men; what a ridiculous way to spend an afternoon.

This is my problem I guess since many people enjoy this entertainment. After all the WWF, rap and Oprah are also popular – the retarded should have the opportunity to enjoy their lives I suppose.

Conroy provides a chronology of a losing basketball season when he played as a guard for his college team. He feels that you can learn a lot of lessons from losing. This is true, but how can you lean anything from something as inconsequential as losing a basketball game.

Conroy has made a career out of getting over his abusive father. I don’t mean this derisively. Writing seems to be his means of therapy. More power to him; it has made for compelling reading. Fortunately his father is still abusive and cruelly (and unintentionally) hilarious. So, I say read the book for the beatings and skip the basketball games. You will be able to finish it in 30% of the time.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Losing Season.

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Oppermann Rude comment about the retarded.