John Harder's Reviews > North and South

North and South by John Jakes

Jul 26, 11

My girlfriend recommended this book to me, and I am appalled that her lily-white and pure hands ever held such a dirty book. There is plenty of stirring of loins and heaving of breasts in this bodice ripper. Jakes throws in a history lesson so you do not feel as guilty about a guilty pleasure. Might I add, I plan on reading the other two books in the trilogy.

No one would ever accuse Jakes of writing literature, but this novel accomplishes its purpose. His primary goal is light entertainment surrounded by historical events. So as with all reasonably done historical fiction, you may learn something without realizing it. I am only giving this book 3 stars since it is not artistically written, but it isn’t supposed to be, so I don’t know if such a rating is fair; but I don’t want anyone to confuse this with Faulkner.

Take this book into a closet with a flashlight. Enjoy it and don’t let any of your more professorial friends catch you with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North and South.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine I believe you - when several people say the movie is better than the movie (see also: The Help), better to skip the book.