Bernard's Reviews > Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale - The Final Chapter

Doctor Who by Russell T. Davies

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction-fun

Okay - it is fair to say that I am biased in writing this review as I have loved the 2005-2011 series of Dr Who - or NuWho as it gets called... and I think Russell T Davies is brilliant. So I started reading this book thinking it would give a good insight into what happens behind the scenes in preparing for a show like this to get on the air. The book delivered so much more. In quite an engaging and witty email exchange - Davies is able to share with the reader all of the gritty truth about what goes into creative writing. This includes the broad outlines, the seeding of an idea or vague concept.... to the procrastinating (we have all been there) then the rush at the end and the all nighters and the frustration when things aren't working or when the timeline gets missed. For someone who wrote exclusively about a timelord, Mr Davies could never be accused of mastering his own time!! But this book was just so - real... so honest. It was a joy to have that sort of access. Because it meant when you saw those moments when the penny would drop or the idea would occur (putting Wilf in the nuclear venting booth thing in 4.18) that it really made it all the more joyous and exciting. After reading this book you are left feeling very rewarded and far more appreciative of how good a show Doctor Who is. To Russell T Davies - thanks for sharing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.