David Sarkies's Reviews > The Accidental Tourist

Jan 04, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: modernist
Read in January, 2009

Apparently there is a point, though it is still debatable
(26 Jun 2011)

I can't really say much about this book. It has been a while since I read it, and I needed to refresh myself on the plot. I don't even know why I read this book because it is hardly one I would have picked up at a bookshop. I suspect that when I finished reading it, I threw it into the shed up the back, and promptly forgot about it, which is probably why, when I looked at it again years later, I said to myself 'I know that I have read this book, but I have no idea what it is about'.
Anyway, it is about a man who writes travel pieces for a newspaper, however he doesn't like travel, and he only likes what he knows (which makes it pretty difficult to be a travel writer). Anyhow, his son is killed in a shooting, so he and his wife split up, but then he meets another woman who gives the spark of life into him again, and this makes his wife jealous, and she decides she wants to get back into his life. To this I would say to her 'tough luck' you made your bed, now you can lie in it.
That may sound a little harsh, but when I read this I think about the principle that appears in the book of the law in the bible. Where a man and a women get married, and then divorced, then the option of remarriage is pretty much off the table. When I say remarriage, I mean that the divorce being overturned. These days though it is not quite as simple as that, and Christ is very much about reconciliation. What has this got to do with the book? Nothing really since I am not really even sure how it ends so, I guess, this review is probably not much help to anybody.
At least the book does have a hint of realism about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Tourist.