Mel's Reviews > My Autobiography. John Martin

My Autobiography. John Martin by John Martin

Dec 05, 12

bookshelves: 19th-century-non-fiction, art, autobiography, british-history, victorian
Read in February, 2011

John Martin is quite probably my favourite English painter, but it is very difficult to find many books about it. This book has just been published this year in conjunction with the new Martin exhibition that will be at various places in the UK. This little book is mostly a reproduction of a critique by the Illustrated London News on Martin's painting Joshua Commanding the sun to stand still (which is used for the cover of the book) and Martin's response to this criticism in which he gives a short biography of his life to that point. It is a nice little reproduction, and includes a short essay at the begining about Martin by a curator at Tate. The book also includes black and white reproductions of The Deluge, Belshazar's feast, The last judement, another Black and white copy of Joshua, the illustrations used in the newspaper and a portrait of the artist. Considering how rare it is to find books about Martin this is a nice little one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Autobiography. John Martin.