Angus Mcfarlane's Reviews > The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is

The Challenge of Jesus by N.T. Wright

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: spirituality, history
Read in January, 2011

This was a challenge worth taking! The endeavour to discover the historical Jesus has been attempted by many and there are probably few people in the world without some opinion on it. Forming an opinion about Jesus that finds agreement from someone else is therefore pretty easy: Investing the time and effort to dig into the facts much harder (both emotionally, intellectually and, well, financially!). NT Wright belongs in the latter category, making the read a treat and regardless of 'faith', worth listening to.

Central to Wright's thesis is the idea that Jesus belongs to first century Judaism and regardless of ideas formed about him since then, his identity must remain consistent with his original context. There is no such thing as a blank slate of course, but I felt that despite coming from a 'believers' perspective, Wright is sufficiently dispassionate to be removed from blatant sectarian or ideological bias. Whilst these may have their place at times, it is refreshing to hear the basics again (as I remember feeling when I first 'discovered' Jesus as an adolescent, albeit with more depth than I did then).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Challenge of Jesus.