Preethi's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: ebook, can-do-without-reading-this
Read in January, 2012

An extremely mediocre book with just about an average style of writing. The style doesn't make you feel for the characters, empathize with them or understand them sometimes.
Also the paragraphs for the recipe instructions appearing in the middle of the story was breaking the continuity and was a little out of place.

Everything about this book felt unnatural - Mama Elena's unrequited anger at the daughter, the effects people have when they eat what Tita cooks, Pedra's behavior and the climax. Each of them could've been dealt with differently.

pick up this book if and when you are feeling extremely useless and want to kill sometime. I am now only glad that it is a very short read.

And what has the title to do with the plot, except to lure chocolate lovers or those who love the book/movie Chocolat!!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.

01/22/2012
5.0% "The story-telling language is rather peculiar. I am still attributing this to the translation."
01/22/2012
17.0% "Yet again, I am sure its the translation, but the style of writing is not doing anything to me. And the addition of a recipe at the start of every chapter, well... it feels kinda not-required."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judy Ah, glad to see I am not alone in thinking this book only mediocre and quite strange.