ElaineY's Reviews > Breaking Cover

Breaking Cover by Kaje Harper

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: cops-sherrifs-p-i, mm, sequel-or-prequel-true
Read in November, 2011

This second part of Life Lessons rounded off the story nicely, I felt. I wouldn't say it was better than the second but certainly good enough to give it 5 stars unequivocally, even if I did skim quite a bit of the sex scenes. Not because they weren't well done but because I'm one of those who like just two hot scenes (maybe three) in my romantic suspense then let me to get back into the suspense plot.

I'm not going to do the broken-record thing about kids in my romances but move on to the two men instead - what I liked about LL is that I was invested enough in both MCs to want to see things from each of their perspective. In many books featuring one closeted protag, I sympathize with one and get aggravated with the other but not here. I empathized with Mac and didn't feel the need to push him into coming out. Nor did I wish Tony would soften towards Mac's stance and be more willing to wait it out, however long it took. It was very difficult for Tony, I could feel that but I also felt Mac's fear of being outed.
I respected each man for his decision.

The only part I felt could have been better was the one-year separation when they broke up. I missed that, at first. I didn't even realize that until Tony was in court and had to go back a few pages to reread. Even then I felt it was glossed over.

But I was also happy that there wasn't a quick wrap-up at the end once Mac finally came out. Most times, the authors don't give me the luxury of coming to terms with the couple's new status in a slower, more realistic manner. Either the HEA is fast and "Ta-daaa! The End." or I get a sudden wedding epilogue - ugh. Instead, Ms Harper let me absorb what it's like for Mac to come out - no, no dramatics, just taking one day at a time - and left me convinced that he would be able to handle whatever got dished out to him and that Tony did right by choosing him and standing firm with him.

Both men deserved their HEA...and after this satisfying read, I'm taking an MF break and rereading an old Karen Rose favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Cover.