April Helms's Reviews > The Irish Sports Pages

Mar 30, 08

bookshelves: mystery, fiction
Recommended for: young adults (14+) and adults
Read in March, 2008

I've read most of the Milan Jakovich novels by now, and this is the (so far) last one written in the series. It's definately the most "gray area." Milan, private detective, is asked by a high-profile Common Pleas judge to find a small-time con man and retreive various articles stolen from her -- including an envelope filled with pictures. But when the con man turns up dead, Milan gets pulled in deeper than he would like in an ethical quagmire, and he has to decide how far he is willing to go to get that envelope. This is probably the most interesting book, as we see Milan shedding some of his morals, for better and worse. Definately spooky -- and realistic -- how much he has changed over the course of the series. There were some annoying editing problems ( I don't think we needed to read how the local Don thought that Milan "hung the moon" twice, for example), and I'm not crazy about the resolution of the envelope situation -- I thought that was glossed over rather quickly. I guessed pretty quickly whodunit (at least the murderer, there were a lot of hints), although I really liked how Milan eventually figured it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Irish Sports Pages.