Sheilagh Lee's Reviews > By A Thread

By A Thread by Marty Beaudet

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: thriller-espionage
Read in July, 2011

By A Thread by Marty Beaudet is a tour de force thriller of gripping action. This writer really knows how to research a story and give it accuracy.
It begins with the seeds of terrorism. We start with a prisoner of Gitmo being released but blackmailed to work for the CIA with threats to his family. We see his wife who doesn’t have a clue where he has been; struggling to feed her children and translating for her country to feed her children and fight terrorism. Both are being manipulated by the very government they are so loyal to simply because of their native land. As we delve into the novel we get to know the main character Kevin a missionary of the Mormon Church posted in Germany. Kevin an innocent raised in the Mormon faith he has never been allowed to think of his own sexuality. He is confused and hiding from himself as who he really is goes against church doctrine. Kevin is approached by the CIA to spy on a terrorist suspect Jasim Shammari whom Kevin has met in his missionary duties. Kevin finds himself falling for the suspect and must choose either the suspect his country and religion. The story really take off from there as we find out the president has been killed and the vice president is dead. Who is really behind those acts of terrorism it seems in the novel that the seeds of terrorism are insidiously beginning to germinate in the youth and in desperate people’s lives that are blackmailed by unscrupulous people. However is the real culprit Al Quaida or is something more sinister at play? Does someone want to seize the power of the presidency of the United States for themselves? Could they have engineered all to size that power? Really nail biting suspense and heart-pounding chases as you turn the pages wondering what will happen next. I truly enjoyed this well-crafted story of intrigue. This author is a new favourite of mine and I look forward to anything else he might write.
5 out of five

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By A Thread.