Kat's Reviews > Chasing Brooklyn

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder

Jul 26, 11

Read from July 25 to 26, 2011

This book was just OK. It was an exceptionally fast read, due to the fact the author writes in "verse". I felt the writing style was disjointed and I was halfway through the book before it even felt somewhat natural. I thought the premise of the book was interesting but the author really didn't go anywhere with it. I thought it was funny that at the end of the book it was written that the author, "loves to write in verse because it allows her to get to the emotional core of the story." Read all 412 pages and literally there was only ONE "verse" that I thought was well written and conveyed appropriate emotional depth. To not spoil anything it was the February 24th "verse", pages 394-399. Maybe I am missing the boat here on the symbolism and depth of this book, but I just don't see it. It just felt like a detached summary of everything that happened. The cover quote and publication summary are misleading, making this book out to be way more dramatic than it actually is.

Maybe I just expect too much out of YA books as an adult, particularly since I've been spoiled by reading some really well-written YA novels. I am fairly sure this will be the first and last book I read by this author.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Brooklyn.