Haley ~ YA-Aholic's Reviews > Other

Other by Karen Kincy

Aug 07, 11

Read from July 25 to 31, 2011

“I can't last much longer. It's been one week, three days and I can't remember how many hours. ”

I don't know how I feel about this book so this review is going to be short. The world that Karen Kincy has put together in this book is incredible, people know about vampires, werewolves, and they also know about others. An 'other' is exactly what Gwen is classified as, Gwen is half pooka from her dads side, A pooka is a mythical creatures that shows up as a dark horse with glowing golden eyes, stalking travelers on murky nights, inviting them on wild rides, throwing them over cliffs, of course none of that is true, can Gwen turn into a horse? yes Can she turn into a horned owl? yes..can she turn into a cat? yes...but she is no shape or form has temptations to throw people over cliffs..but in the world Gwen lives in everybody believes what the books say...Gwen doesn't know what to do, living in a very closed minded town where no one accepts mythical creatures, she keeps her other side a secret from everyone, even her boyfriend of one year Zack. Gwen thinks everything is going fine..sure she will eventually need to tell Zack the truth, but that can wait.

One day her and Zack go for a walk in the park...and come across two dead bodies in the water...but those bodies weren't people...they were water spirits..others...and that's just the beginning as more and more mythical creatures are found dead Gwen knows her small town is no longer safe, as she tries to contain her shapshitfing she meets a mysterious boy, Tavian , he seems to know she is an other, but Gwen doesn't think he can be trusted.. Time is running out to find the killer, and when Gwen finally puts the pieces all together, it may be too late.

Now your probably thinking, Haley this book sounds great. Well for me it just fell short, I thought this book was gonna be amazing, but I just couldn't get into it. For me the characters weren't very likable..and the story was just kinda dull. The whole 'other' aspect of this book was awesome, very original. This book unfortunately just wasn't my taste, for me it was just 'ok' almost liked it though.

So much for this being a short review

Thank you Donna from Book Passion for Life for sending me this book (:
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other.

07/26/2011 page 80
24.0% "(:"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Donna {Book Passion for Life} Oh no! 2.5? :( :(

Haley ~ YA-Aholic Ya its was ok..I almost liked it ): maybe a three but barely ):

Donna {Book Passion for Life} So disappointing. I'll still read it though but maybe not rush :(

Brianna I loved this book. Different strokes for different folks.

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book, Haley. :-\ It sounds interesting though. My issue a lot of the time with new original ideas is that I don't know how to categorize it in my head and I end up feeling like I'm not sure if I like it. And characters are a big thing, if you don't connect with them then that's that. :-\

Haley ~ YA-Aholic Its okay (: I saved you from buying one more book! hah (: I liked it, I just had higher expectations I guess you know ? Oh well cant love them all lol(:

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Haha, this is very true! On both accounts! :)