Emily's Reviews > Fairest

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: children, fairy-tale, fantasy, magic
Read from January 15 to February 02, 2011

Overall Review: “Mirror, Mirror, on the wall…” This is a ‘companion’ novel to Ella Enchanted. Based in the adjoining kingdom of Ayortha, it even mentions Ella at the end! The sister of the main character of this book is the sister of Ella’s friend Areida from finishing school. Love the tie-ins! True to Ms. Levine’s formula, “Fairest” was enchanting and taught a great lesson that all should know: Beauty is who you are, not what you look (or sound) like! There are some fun twists and turns and some great characters. I do love how all of her heroines are not beautiful; sometimes they’re downright ugly! But they all find characteristics about themselves that are more important than mere beauty. You couldn’t outwit the evil queen—or the mirror— if you were merely a pretty face! While my 4 year old was a little bored (no pictures!), I read this aloud to my 8, 6, and 4 year old children. We enjoyed every minute of it! Overall rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Content Review:

PROFANITY: one mild instance

VIOLENCE: few mild instances

SEXUAL CONTENT: none

MATURE THEMES: mild

RECOMMENDED AGE GROUP: 9+

This really is a mild book in all senses of the word. As far as violence, there are ogres who eat people (none get eaten in this book, it’s just mentioned that that’s what they do). A character is hit in the head and knocked unconscious for a long period of time. A character wants to kill people who are beautiful (but it never happens). I seem to remember only one questionable word. There are a few kisses, but they are sweet. As far as themes to talk about, there is the question of the worth of beauty versus honesty and loyalty, and being happy with who you are and what you’re given in life. I can recommend this as a Squeaky Clean read for ages 9+!

This review was written by Emily
A Squeaky Clean Reads Book Reviewer

To see more fantastic books on review with content in mind, visit us at Squeaky Clean Reads!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest.