J's Reviews > The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right

The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande

Jul 31, 2015

bookshelves: self-improvement, metacognition, life-strategies
Read in July, 2015

With everyone up in arms these days about the state of education, it would seem that Atul Gawande MD's little book, 'Checklist Manifesto' would be finding its way into standard teaching regimens, and yet it has not.

I used this book and the advice it offered by way of anecdotal evidence, and my students ate it up. To be certain, they initially resisted, however it did not take long for them to see the utility of using checklists as part of their every day learning regimen.

Sometimes, throwing money at a problem is not the answer. Sometimes, the answer is drilling down to find out what has worked for others. Rather than wasting time reinventing the wheel, we do ourselves a huge favor by seeing what is at hand.

Assessing how we can use what we have in lieu of wasting precious time and energy, we improve our chances at success by figuring how to make slight adjustments to tweak what we have to our needs. Such a strategy speaks to resilience, ingenuity, deliberate practice and commitment to continuity of practice - all marks of life-long learners who consistently meet new challenges because they know how to systematically formulate questions that arrive at conclusions which are repeatable, and make sense.

That is what Dr. Gawande is offering.

This book will benefit anyone who takes the time to read it. Moreover, at the price of a book, and a genuine interest to apply what seems so elegant and yet so simple anyone can reap the rewards that engineers, pilots and healthcare workers have been enjoying for decades.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Checklist Manifesto.