Laura (Kyahgirl)'s Reviews > That's What Brothers Do

it was ok
bookshelves: dark-and-disturbing, m-m
Read in June, 2011

2/5; 2 Stars; C

I didn't really like it but it was fairly well written and got a response from me so, to be fair, I think I had to finish it and give some serious thought to how to rate it. I originally rated it 4 stars but went back and changed it to 2.
This was a dark book, set in the dark underbelly of society. The world of the mobsters, child sex abusers, racketeering monsters...you get the picture.
Its the story of a young man's choice to save his sisters and put himself into servitude of the kind that would destroy most people. I found myself feeling a bit impatient with the self sacrificing/martyr role which bordered on TSTL. The author manages to convince me that is abuser could still be a decent person and together they could find love, even though there is nothing but depravity and violence in this world.
I'd recommend it to people who like a dark tale. Its not really my thing but I can appreciate the author's skill.

**edited

I originally rated this book higher to try and give the author credit for convincing me there was a love story inside the horror story. After starting Dark Soul Vol. 1 I realized that this book is not anywhere near the same calibre as Voinov's writing so I downgraded the rating.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That's What Brothers Do.