Adriane Devries's Reviews > Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School

Guerrilla Learning by Grace Llewellyn

Jul 25, 11

liked it
bookshelves: teaching

“Education is about the only thing lying around loose in the world, and it’s about the only thing a fellow can have as much of as he’s willing to haul away.” George Lorimer, Letters of a Self-Made Merchant to His Son
John Holt quote: “Teaching does not make learning...organized education operates on the assumption that children learn only when and only what and only because we teach them. This is not true. It is very close to one hundred percent false. Learners make learning. Learners create learning. The reason that this has been forgotten is that the activity of learning has been made into a product called ‘education.’”

The educational philosophy of these authors suggests that school and education are not synonymous, and are, in fact, opposites. The problem with schools, and we can all admit there is something incredibly wrong with our schools, is that they are…schools. Due to government regulations that determine which schools get money, it is the students’ “job” to perform well on tests that in turn direct more money to their bureaucrats’ salaries, er, to their school funding.

When an organization becomes as large as our school system, and that’s whether public or private, its primary goal is to remain lucrative. Helping kids learn to love to learn is nowhere on the list.
These authors purport, and are supported by gobs of evidence as well as common sense, that learning happens best when it is in a meaningful context, is interest-led by the child, is best when led within the family,

Schools should be treated as a tool in the overall context of learning that happens in a home, rather than the only place where learning is permitted to happen. “Like many other things in life, school can be a poor master but a good servant.” These authors show us how to deflect the myths of a system whose sheer size forces it to make funding its primary priority, not the actual divvying of knowledge.
When funding is at stake, the education process is made into a financial transaction

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guerrilla Learning.