Debbie's Reviews > Fun With Dick and Shane

Fun With Dick and Shane by Gillibran Brown

Jul 07, 2012

Read from July 06 to 07, 2012

Oh, boy. This book was NOTHING like what I expected. I decided to give it a try because of the great reviews and I wanted to read something a little different.

Gilli described himself to the reader early in the story this way:

"In a nutshell, I'm 6'2" blonde and gorgeous (Lie detector says NO) Okay, I'm actually 5'7".....

The book is written in an engaging journal style in "houseboy" Gillian's POV. Gilli is hilarious, smart and bratty enough to keep himself in quite a bit of trouble with his two "daddies", Dick and Shane. And Gilli gets into trouble A LOT.

So many times I would put down my Nook and just laugh because I couldn't believe that he got into trouble AGAIN. That mouth of his! But in between the laughs were some amazingly insightful thoughts that went through this guy's head, and there were parts of the story that teared me up a little. This book, and the relationship it journaled, was far more complex than how it appeared on the surface.

I promise you - this book is not a smut filled spankfic. It is a very funny and clever story. I ADORED Gilli. He does enter TMIville once early in the book - (Gilli, you did NOT go there) but I'm so glad I finished the story.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fun With Dick and Shane.

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I've been meaning to read this forever. I need to get all your rec'd straight bc I still need to read that YA book.

Debbie This is an all time favorite of mine. The sequel to this (there are three published so far) was my favorite. There is a chapter called "Ginger" in one of them that is probably the funniest thing I have ever read. And yeah, you should read Will Grayson, Will Grayson. The Will character that David Levithain writes (the parts all in lower case letters) was my favorite - it kind of reminded me of how TJ writes. I think you would enjoy that book.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Annnnnnd bought!! What was the other one you mentioned? It had a blue cover with a boys face?

Debbie Wonder by PJ Palacio. I borrowed it from the library.