Ellen's Reviews > The Calder Game

The Calder Game by Blue Balliett

Jul 31, 11

This was another re-read for me, and at first I would have agreed with other reviewers in saying that Chasing Vermeer and Wright 3 are better than this one. Now, I'm not so sure. I found so much more the second time through. I found myself fascinated with the number of times the colors red. yellow, and black (and shadow) were used to emphasize key emotional moments in the story. There was a sense of motion and change throughout - reminding me of the mobile motif that permeates the story. I'm so excited with the potential cross-curricular teaching ideas with this one that I've now moved it up in my 5th grade reading potential book units. Of course, I don't know that I will be able to get my 5th graders to see all the symbols and deeper meanings, but even so, we can touch on history, geography, math, art, and langauge. I am THRILLED with Blue Balliet! Incidentally, I am waiting to see what Tommy, Petra, and Calder will do as 8th graders. They are very "real" characters that I would LOVE to see in my classroom!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calder Game.