Traci's Reviews > The Rising

The Rising by Brian Keene

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: horror
Read from July 30 to 31, 2011

Although I liked this book enough to give it three stars I'm so glad to be done with it and I don't know if I could've handled it being any longer. It's a well written ugly little book. With ugly things that happen to good characters by ugly people. The more I read I felt like crap. And I felt no hope for humanity.
The good points, there were a few I do agree the man can write a certain type of horror. I loved the orginality of what the zombies here were. You find out pretty quickly so I don't consider it a spoiler but you know...stop reading now if you don't want to know. They are "beings" brought to our dimension by an experiment gone wrong. Beings who can only enter a body once the soul is gone. Wonderfully creative. Brings to mind H.P. Lovecraft. And I liked how I had no idea how it would end. I don't mind a happy ending but when it's assured it's a little fake feeling. And no worries I will not comment on this one, although partly I want to!!!!
I have now read two books by this author and in both religion played a key role. It seems as though Brian Keene believes but is angry. He believes in a God but doesn't like him very much. It gives his writing a dark and disturbing feel. And angry. I'm an emotional reader and if I had to read books like this one everyday I don't think I would like myself very much. I will probably read atleast one more by this author, but I must say I'm glad I'm not him.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rising.

07/30/2011 page 163