Adriane Devries's Reviews > Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie is Not the Answer

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: book-club-potential, summer-read-novels

After reading many depressing and/or starkly edgy memoirs over the years for book club, this one, dealing with the author’s struggle with dieting, was a huge (get it?) breath of fresh air. Jen Lancaster’s raucous humor reminded me how to laugh out loud again, and every time I sat down with it, I felt like I was spending time with my best friend. How nice that I had it in paperback, so I could carry her everywhere with me for many unexpected moments of dishing (get it?)! Dieting while writing a book about the process of writing a book about dieting is sheer genius (though if I were her, I might have chosen to write a book about something more fun, like the process of tasting every stout beer made in Ireland, or the quest for the best half-caf-double-shot mocha in Paris, but I guess that wouldn’t have been quite as intriguing to read. After all, the premise of this book is that she’ll lose weight in time for her book’s release, and that certainly carries more suspense than finding a satisfying drink), though the last few chapters sounded suspiciously like a commercial for Weight Watchers. Will she disclose her secrets of successful weight loss right here in these funny pages for all to emulate, or will she fall flat (fat) for her family and friends to mock mercilessly? Pick up your copy today to find out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Fat.