Tommy's Reviews > Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel -- Why Everything You Know Is Wrong

Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity by John Stossel

M 50x66
Apr 02, 08

bookshelves: economy, politics-commentary, non-fiction
Read in April, 2008

This book was not as economically focused as I thought it was going to be but it did cover a broad range of topics. Stossel makes some (emphasis SOME) good points but most of his economic positions are extremely flawed and just irritating. That is a very infuriating part of the book though (that and his views on women).

some of his other 'social' views and his personal consumer stories are fairly sensical but the flaw with the entire book is lack of support (or credible support). A lot of it is just finding a person or two whose experience matches his agenda.

Stossel is a Libertarian and I think it shines through most of the book. I actually enjoyed his explaination of libertarianism vs. conservatives and liberals more than anything else in the book. It reminded me that most ideologies are good at some aspects of government but terrible at others and that our current parties are actually fairly poorly labeled/defined.

Libertarians and Progressives would be great additions/replacements for our current perspective (you'd have to add some arch-conservative group too).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity.