Nathan's Reviews > The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams

M_50x66
Jul 25, 11

This book was a bit of a disappointment. Good by most standards, but below Adams’ median.

The second (and final) book in the Dirk Gently series, it has little to do with the first book except the Dirk character himself. The storyline, however, remains larger-than-life:

“So far he had taken no real interest in the strange incident at the airport, but now it demanded his attention. The explosion was now officially designated an ‘Act of God.’ But, thought Dirk, what god? And why?”

As always, Adams includes zany humor (see the I Ching calculator, which computes anything above 4 as “A Suffusion of Yellow”). Still, particularly in his later writings like this one, Adams begins subtly layering social commentary into his work. This gives the piece depth, but perhaps due partly to the fact that I disagree with his notions of God, it ruins much of the fun.

This book was also a bit darker than most of his works (with a severed head revolving on a record player and an older woman threatening suicide).

It gave me a few chuckles, but no real laugh-out-loud moments--especially as the book progressed. It was enjoyable, but I’d read Adams’ other works over this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.