Wendy's Reviews > The Beach House

The Beach House by James Patterson

Jul 25, 11

Jack Mullen is a brilliant Columbia Law student when his younger brother, Peter, drowns in the ocean off East Hampton. They grew up on the beaches of The Hamptons and Jack is convinced that Peter's death was no accident. There's just no way Peter would have gone for a late-night swim while working at the $40 million beach house known for its elite parties where he parked cars and such since he was thirteen. Chief Detective Frank Volpi insists Peter's death was either an accident or suicide. But Peter's body was horribly bruised and he'd just bought a $19,000 motorcycle. Jack insists, "You don't wash a motorcycle twice a day when you're contemplating suicide." The rich and powerful Neubauers, who own the beach house where Peter drowned, know more than they're telling. Along with his grandfather, a close colleague and five life-long friends, Jack takes on the high-and-mighties of East Hampton to avenge his brother's death.
This is more than just a web of lies and deceit. There's love, power, revenge and the Mullens Family. "They're the working-class Kennedys of Montauk. The same good looks and charisma, the same Irish Catholic blarney, and the same tragic curse."

Although some of the storyline was a bit far-fetched, I boosted my rating to 4-stars for the revenge and characters. I love a good revenge storyline. Nothing pleases me more than watching the guilty squirm. Some of the main characters are very well developed, as well. Some had real faces to me, like Jack's grandfather, Mack. I saw him as 100-percent actor Wilford Brimley (Cocoon, The Firm): kind, sincere, intelligent, firm, honest, very straightforward.

Journalist Peter de Jonge collaborates with Patterson here as well as in the 1996 golf fantasy "Miracle on the 17th Green." Together again, they spin quite a tale.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach House.