Nicolas's Reviews > The Lost Princess of Oz

The Lost Princess of Oz by L. Frank Baum

May 07, 14

Read in April, 2011

I'm surprised how good these books have gotten. I enjoyed the first 8, some more than others, because they were quick, fun reads. However, beginning with book 9 (The Scarecrow of Oz) they started getting more detailed and layered. While book 10 (Rinkitink in Oz) is still my favorite this is a very close second.
This story begins with the kidnapping of Ozma. The gang soon discovers that the Wizard & Glinda's magical tools have been stolen too. Dorothy and a big band of characters from past stories set of to recover Ozma and the magic of Oz. In a parallel story Cayke and the Frogman (new characters in the series) go off looking for Cayke's magic dishpan which was also stolen. Eventually the two groups meet up and realize the same culprit, Ugu the Shoemaker, is behind both thefts. I thought the two plots came together well and the rescue of Ozma was well done and unexpected. Overall this was a very solid entry in the Oz series. My one complaint is that Scarecrow and the Tin Woodsman don't get much to do. The groups split up to look for Ozma. Dorothy, the Wizard, the Cowardly Lion and several others head off one way while the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodsman head off to Quadling country. I was hoping we'd see some of their journey too, but they only show up at the very end. It's a minor complaint though and it doesn't effect the enjoyment of the book as a whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Princess of Oz.