Holli's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Jul 25, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, i-own, audio-books, epic-reads, favorite-ya-authors, high-action, highly-recommended, paranormal, romance
Recommended for: Anyone with a love for romance and adventure
Read from August 24 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

Meghan Chase is a 16 year old, who is Half Summer Faery Princess, half human. She is abruptly introduced to the world that her mother, and biological father fought to keep her blind too, when her half brother Ethan, was kidnapped into the Iron Kingdom. Meghan has to make a continual string of hard choices in order to save the ones she loves. This book is full of action, suspense, and is magically romantic.

Meg has two love interests. The first and most endearing, in my point of view, is Robbie, (aka Robin Goodfellow aka Puck), has been not only her childhood best friend, but her guardian in the human world. It is clear that he loves her, though she is blind to it. The other, and more controversial, is Ash. He is a brooding, cold, and what would appear to be, emotionless Faery Winter Prince. There are parts, later in the book, where Ash's vulnerability breaks through, and you are reminded that he is merely guarded, not heartless. It makes him loveable ... yet not, in my point of view, as loveable as our fun loving, mischievous jester, Puck.

I love Meghan's character and her loyalty to those she cares about. It is both her strength and her weakness. Meghan possesses human emotions and Faery strength, *which is slowly being unleashed*. Her love and devotion to those who are important in her life give her the determination to move forward in what would seem to be impossible situations. However, it is the very thing that would appear to be her own downfall. Her loyalty is exploited, and used against her. She will, without a doubt sacrifice herself to save the ones she loves.

This is my first series on Faeries and the Fey world. I was very skeptical going into this read, but am very happy I gave it a chance.
I am looking forward to the following installments of the Iron Fey. Five Stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

Quotes Holli Liked

Julie Kagawa
“My closet!" hissed the figure. A spiderlike hand darted out and grabbed the doorknob. "My closet! Mine!" And it slammed the door with a bang.”

Julie Kagawa
“I licked my lips and whispered, "Is this where you say you'll kill me?"
One corner of his lips curled. "If you like," he murmured, a flicker of amusement finally crossing his face. "Though it's gotten far too interesting for that.”

Julie Kagawa
“Then I made a stupid mistake and looked up at him. His eyes met mine, and for a moment, his face was open and vulnerable in the moonlight. I caught a hint of wonder there as we stared at each other. Slowly, he leaned forward. I caught my breath, a tiny gasp escaping. He stiffened, and his expression shuttered closed, eyes going hard and frosty.
[...]
'This is getting old,' he said in a voice that matched his eyes.”

Julie Kagawa
“No, no. We can kill each other later.”

Julie Kagawa
“Me? Die? Didn't they tell you, princess? I'm Robin Goodfellow.”

Julie Kagawa
“I have to be on top of my game if I'm going to kill things for you, right?”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”

Julie Kagawa
“Bravo," said Grimalkin, peering down from Cold Tom's chest. "The Winter prince and Oberon's jester agreeing on something. The world must be ending.”

Julie Kagawa
“Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?”

Julie Kagawa
“Knock, knock!" he called in a high, singsong voice.
For a moment, silence. Then a thud and a crash, as if something heavy had been hurled at the door. "Go away!" snarled the voice from within.
"Ah, no. That's not how the joke goes," called Rob. "I say 'knock, knock', and you're supposed to answer with 'who's there?'"
"Fuck off!"
Nope, that's still wrong." Robbie seemed unperturbed. I, however, was horrified at Ethan's language, though I knew it wasn't him. "Here," continued Rob in an amiable voice, "I'll go through the whole thing, so you'll know how to answer next time." He cleared his throat and pounded at the door again. "Knock, knock!" he bellowed. "Who's there? Puck! Puck who? Puck, who will turn you into a squealing pig and stuff you in the oven if you don't get out of our way!" And with that, he banged the door open.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash blinked. "Are you raiding the cellars now, Goodfellow?"

"Me? Stealing?" Puck flashed a devious grin and popped another fruit into his mouth. "In the house of my ancient enemy? What gave you that idea?" He plucked another fruit and tossed it to me with a wink.”

Julie Kagawa
“There was a soft chuckle beside me, and my heart stopped.
"So this is Oberon's famous half-blood," Ash mused as I whirled around. His eyes, cold and inhuman, glimmered with amusement. Up close, he was even more beautiful, with high cheekbones and dark tousled hair falling into his eyes. My traitor hands itched, longing to run my fingers through those bangs. Horrified, I clenched them in my lap, trying to concentrate on what Ash was saying. "And to think," the prince continued, smiling, "I lost you that day in the forest and didn't even know what I was chasing."
I shrank back, eyeing Oberon and Queen Mab. They were deep in conversation and did not notice me. I didn't want to interrupt them simply because a prince of the Unseelie Court was talking to me.
Besides, I was a faery princess now. Even if I didn't quite believe it, Ash certainly did. I took a deep breath, raised my chin, and looked him straight in the eye.
"I warn you," I said, pleased that my voice didn't tremble, "that if you try anything, my father will remove your head and stick it to a plaque on his wall."
He shrugged one lean shoulder. "There are worse things." At my horrified look, he offered a faint, self-derogatory smile. "Don't worry, princess, I won't break the rules of Elysium. I have no intention of facing Mab's wrath should I embarrass her. That's not why I'm here."
"Then what do you want?"
He bowed. "A dance."
"What!" I stared at him in disbelief. "You tried to kill me!"
"Technically, I was trying to kill Puck. You just happened to be there. But yes, if I'd had the shot, I would have taken it."
"Then why the hell would you think I'd dance with you?"
"That was then." He regarded me blandly. "This is now. And it's tradition in Elysium that a son and daughter of opposite territories dance with each other, to demonstrate the goodwill between the courts."
"Well, it's a stupid tradition." I crossed my arms and glared. "And you can forget it. I am not going anywhere with you."
He raised an eyebrow. "Would you insult my monarch, Queen Mab, by refusing? She would take it very personally, and blame Oberon for the offense. And Mab can hold a grudge for a very, very long time."
Oh, damn. I was stuck.”

Julie Kagawa
“You made me feel alive again.”

Julie Kagawa
“Metallic trees. That's new. If you see any steel dryads, be sure to tell me so I can run away screaming.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ladies and Felines," he stated grandly, grasping the doorknob, "Welcome to Tir Na Nog. Land of endless winter and shitloads of snow.”

Julie Kagawa
“Careful, human." Grimalkin appeared on the corner of the stage, overshadowed by the dead chimera. "Do not lose your heart to a faery prince. It never ends well.”

Julie Kagawa
“Hi, Princess. Sorry I'm late. Traffic was a bitch." He winked at me, then shot a glance at the winter sidhe, standing in the doorway. "Hey, Shard." He waved. "Nice place you've got here. I'll have to remember it, so I can give it the special 'Puck touch'.”

08/24/2011 page 36
08/26/2011 page 230
63.0% "My thoughts on the first 72 pages of Voyage ... YEAH REN!!!! Booo Kesley!!! YEAH REN!!!!!!!!! Kudos to Kishan!!!!! (Whom I'm starting to get a serious soft spot for! He's giving Ren a run for his money without even putting up a fight!) YEAH REN!!!!!!!!!!!!! The end. :) Can't wait till November!"
show 6 hidden updates…

Kristina Snyder I really liked this series. I can't wait to read Iron Knight when it comes out in October!!!

Holli I'm so glad it comes out in October. I have all three thus far, so I won't have to wait long for the fourth! :)

Whitney How are you liking it so far? :)

Holli I just started. I'm sitting in the doctors office reading. :) Only on page thirteen.

Whitney Holli wrote: "I just started. I'm sitting in the doctors office reading. :) Only on page thirteen."

Ohhh, okay! :D

Holli Just got back from the doctors. I got to read as far as the family dog supposedly attacking Ethan. It wasn't the dog. I think the dog was trying to save him from whatever that thing was in his room. :/

message 8: by Kristina (last edited Aug 24, 2011 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristina Snyder Make sure you read the novella on her website called "Winter's Passage" before you read book two. You don't have to read it, but where book one leaves off and book two starts, the novella fills in that missing time.

Kristina Snyder You will enjoy it I think. This is another set that I couldn't put down once I started.

Whitney Holli wrote: "Just got back from the doctors. I got to read as far as the family dog supposedly attacking Ethan. It wasn't the dog. I think the dog was trying to save him from whatever that thing was in his r..."

...Mhm. ;P

Whitney Kristina wrote: "Make sure you read the novella on her website called "Winter's Passage" before you read book two. You don't have to read it, but where book one leaves off and book two starts, the novella fills in..."

I need to read that.. Even though I'm on book three. >.<

Kristina Snyder Yes Whitney you need to read it!!!!! I printed me a copy of it!!!

Whitney Kristina wrote: "Yes Whitney you need to read it!!!!! I printed me a copy of it!!!"

UGH!

Holli Okay, ... this was a bit creepy at first, good, but creepy. Now Puck and Meg are heading into the Nevernever! Eeek! Looking forward to the rest! :)

Kristina Snyder It gets way better Holli!!! You will enjoy it!!!!

Holli Okay so, ... not sure about this brooding prince of the Unseelie Court, Ash. Wish her father would let Puck out of his cage! :/

Whitney Holli wrote: "Okay so, ... not sure about this brooding prince of the Unseelie Court, Ash. Wish her father would let Puck out of his cage! :/"

UGH. WAIT UNTIL THE SECOND BOOK. *rips hair out*

Holli Wнιтηєу wrote: "Holli wrote: "Okay so, ... not sure about this brooding prince of the Unseelie Court, Ash. Wish her father would let Puck out of his cage! :/"

UGH. WAIT UNTIL THE SECOND BOOK. *rips hair out*"

LOL! The visual there just made me giggle. I'm going to finish number one today, FINALLY! (I have a house full of sickies here that I have been tending too) And then I'm going to start book two. TGIF!!!

Whitney Holli wrote: "Wнιтηєу wrote: "Holli wrote: "Okay so, ... not sure about this brooding prince of the Unseelie Court, Ash. Wish her father would let Puck out of his cage! :/"

UGH. WAIT UNTIL THE SECOND BOOK. *r..."

Haha! :D And it was a good book, just the things Ash said.. Mmnf. Anyway, book three is way better so far. I need to finish it! I'm lagging! D:

Holli I'm already excited about book four and I haven't even gotten finished with book one yet! :)

Holli Puck is back, ... YEAH!!!! :))))

Whitney Holli wrote: "Puck is back, ... YEAH!!!! :))))"

I'm Team Puck. Just so ya know~ ;P

Holli I so LOVE Puke! He is totally hot for Meg, she is so naive! LOL

Whitney Holli wrote: "I so LOVE Puke! He is totally hot for Meg, she is so naive! LOL"

I FREAKING KNOW, RIGHT?!?! Ugh, just wait until the second book lol. The whole book = asfgklsdg;jksdlgh;a!!!

Holli Is that a good spasm or a bad? LOLOLOL!

Whitney Holli wrote: "Is that a good spasm or a bad? LOLOLOL!"

More bad than good! ROFL.

Holli Oh no!!!!!!!!

Whitney Holli wrote: "Oh no!!!!!!!!"

Lol! But I'm sure you'll like it! WE LOVE THE TENSION!

Holli Tension is like the Chinese water torture. Slowly making you insane! I wonder if authors secretly enjoy the emotional duress they inflict on their readers! LOL

Whitney Holli wrote: "Tension is like the Chinese water torture. Slowly making you insane! I wonder if authors secretly enjoy the emotional duress they inflict on their readers! LOL"

Oh, I'm sure they do. Otherwise, they wouldn't make such tension-filled books....that we love! :P

Holli Seriously, ... Colleen is the worst. THE WORST BEST author ever with the suspense.

Whitney Holli wrote: "Seriously, ... Colleen is the worst. THE WORST BEST author ever with the suspense."

I actually thought Cassandra Clare was... There's a battle now between the two lol!

Holli Oh I love the Mortal Instruments. LOVE JACE! Number four is still sitting on my shelf but I refuse to read it till number five comes out.

Whitney Holli wrote: "Oh I love the Mortal Instruments. LOVE JACE! Number four is still sitting on my shelf but I refuse to read it till number five comes out."

Me too!!! And why not?! D: I've read it, and I'm still suffering!

Holli For that very reason! LOL I would rather wait till number five comes out so I don't have to suffer. :)

Whitney Holli wrote: "For that very reason! LOL I would rather wait till number five comes out so I don't have to suffer. :)"

Yeah, I wish I would've done that.. But I couldn't LOLOL.

Kristina Snyder The 4th book ended horrible. I don't like where it's going.

Whitney Kristina wrote: "The 4th book ended horrible. I don't like where it's going."

Exactly. Me neither. :(

Holli OoOoOooooo Ash just kissed Meg, ... :)

Whitney Holli wrote: "OoOoOooooo Ash just kissed Meg, ... :)"

Dun dun duuun! Man, I don't even remember him kissing her. I have a crappy memory. xD

Holli Top of page 292! He is so guarded you have to take those little moments he slips up to remind yourself he has a heart somewhere inside that cold shell!

Whitney Holli wrote: "Top of page 292! He is so guarded you have to take those little moments he slips up to remind yourself he has a heart somewhere inside that cold shell!"

Yeah, I like Ash. He has his soft moments. But Puck = <3 And I don't even want to read The Iron Queen anymore.. Meghan is a jackass. :(

Holli If she totally tosses Puck aside like yesterdays trash I'm gonna be pissed. He has protected her, her entire life. >:/

Whitney Holli wrote: "If she totally tosses Puck aside like yesterdays trash I'm gonna be pissed. He has protected her, her entire life. >:/"

EX. ACTLY. But she does worse in this one. It pissed me off beyond royally. >:C

Holli Oh hell. Don't say anymore. I may burn the series! LOL

Whitney Holli wrote: "Oh hell. Don't say anymore. I may burn the series! LOL"

LMFAO! Sorryyy! Just warning you LOL.

Holli I hate when in typical fashion the heroin ends up messing up a good thing!

Whitney Holli wrote: "I hate when in typical fashion the heroin ends up messing up a good thing!"

I knowww! Me too. :(

Holli Poor Pukey poo. :*( lmao

Whitney Holli wrote: "Poor Pukey poo. :*( lmao"

I know, right? :C