Karyl's Reviews > The Kid

The Kid by Sapphire

Jul 27, 11

Read from July 25 to 27, 2011

What a terrible, awful book. It's not the writing. Sapphire's writing is amazing. But Abdul is such a terrible, unlikeable, awful person. And being in his head is so disturbing and unsettling, and that is why this is such a terrible book.

My friend Kassie wrote a review over on BlogHer that I agree with completely. This is nothing more I can add to what she's put so well. Please visit her review here.

As Kassie put it, "[T]hese lessons don’t make for easy reads. This is not a book I would read a second time. This is a book that I will pass from friend to friend, encouraging them to read it because they should, but not because they will enjoy it. To read it out of obligation to the thousands and thousands of children in our foster care system and the thousands and thousands of men and women in prisons and mental hospitals. Read it to have a better understanding of how and why people make the decisions they do and end up where they do, read it because as you sit in your clean, safe home, a little boy somewhere is in jeopardy. And you should care about that. Even if it hurts."
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kid.