Kathy Davie's Reviews > Dragonseye

4222001
Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in July, 2011

It's 258 AL, 258 years after landing, in the Dragonriders of Pern fantasy series.

The Story
I do love McCaffrey's Dragonriders series and I'm afraid I spent more time cataloging the differences than I did analyzing the story.

Changes are occurring in this Second Pass of Thread. Some people are starting to use "Turn" instead of "year". Fort Hold is building a separate College building for teaching and laboratories because the cave system at Hold is unstable. It will become the Harper Hall somewhere down the road. The dragonriders are complaining about how difficult it is to get girls to impress at a Hatching because dragonriders can't own land. Fire lizards have disappeared due to some Northern illness.

The computers have finally failed completely…I want one of their computers! And the College is talking of changing the types of subjects taught and the way in which they are taught. They remember AIVAS and its shutting itself down so people stop relying upon it for all the information needed to survive. The Duty Song is written as well as other songs to help people remember what they owe to each other, to their Lords Holder, the weyrs, and the protections within their Contract. There is talk of a riddling song.

Permission is granted to start up Crom Hold. With the loss of the computers, the lords, dragonriders, and teachers are discussing more primitive, more permanent ways in which to track the Red Planet so they will know when an attack is imminent leading to Eye Rock and the Star Stones at all the weyrs. And they're still waiting on Tubberman's grubs to increase and migrate enough to protect Southern.

Every word just makes me want to start all over from the beginning…it's been so long since I've read those books I own in the series. I can't believe I let McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern escape me for this long!

McCaffrey did the most amazing work of writing/creating this whole new culture. Language, customs, mode of dress, manners, the varying mores. The evolution of history on Pern has been amazing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonseye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelique (new) - added it

Angelique Minnaar Also got me interested in rereading the whole series.

Kathy Davie Oh, and I still haven't started my re-read of them. My TBR is so high that I think guilt has kept me from starting, LOL...