Aaron Maurer's Reviews > The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training

The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011
I own a copy

I bought this book for my Kindle app back during the Sunshine Deals for a few bucks. It was worth every single penny I spent. Not only did I gain some useful information about running my first marathon, but I laughed my way through her journey.
Dawn Dais has a real sarcastic and sharp witted way with words when describing the training of a marathon, but also keeping things in perspective about the feeling of pride.
I know I am not a woman, but this book can be read by men. One thing I valued while reading is that she is just a regular person like myself. Reading about her voyage made the goal of mine of running 26.2 miles more plausible and possible. I kept thinking that if she can do it, then so can I. This was not some professional elite runner who runs a 5 minute mile pace, but a regular human who struggles to get up in the morning to start running.
I valued her insight mixed with her humor. I highlighted many passages the relate to my journal from setting a goal, to finding others to help you, to broadcasting your goal to help you stay on track, to finding that inner strength on the long runs, to learning to deal with the setbacks that can come along the way to make you stronger.
I would gladly pay full price for this book and I hope others take the time to read this as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ms. Yingling I was debating reading this, and now I know I should! Thanks for the review, Mr. Maurer!