Tryn's Reviews > Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach Updated for 2005

Transforming the Difficult Child by Howard Glasser

Jul 25, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, parenting
Read in April, 2011

This is a book that one frazzled parent recommends to another. A friend recommended it to me and I recommended it to my sister and another friend, when they called to chat about kids. I’ve read a lot of parenting books over the years, but this is the most practical, confidence-inspiring one I’ve encountered so far. The title, however, is misleading and probably steers too many parents away who would actually benefit from reading it. The very practical, specific advice in this book would be helpful for any parent raising any child. I don’t consider any of my children “difficult” but what I learned in this book is useful to me on a daily basis. It really comes down to the energy we give to our children. Children seek out our energy. If they don’t get enough of it, they will demand it with bad behavior. We can give them our energy in a positive form or a negative form—light or dark. When we affirm and appreciate them, we strengthen them internally. When we strategically place the rope like the trainers for Shamoo do when teaching a killer whale to jump, then we help them to experience success built upon success.

I’ve been hesitant to use praise and rewards with my children because I do not want them to be focussed on those things, but this book shows me how to use them in appropriate ways that are more about appreciation and earning privileges. I need to read this book again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transforming the Difficult Child.

04/11/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Church johnson Which conference talk are you referring to? I'd like to read that one too!