Sus's Reviews > Below the Root

F 50x66
Mar 29, 2008

liked it
Read in April, 2008

Like a lot of other people (or so it seems from these reviews!), I played and loved the "Below the Root" video game when I was young. I had never read the books; when I looked them up recently, I was excited to realize that they were written by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, a young-adult writer who I remember having creeped me as a child with such subtle and unsettling books as _The Headless Cupid_ and _The Eyes In the Fishbowl_.

I've found it both delightful and weird to read _Below the Root_ for the first time as an adult. Weird, because the construction of the novel is so clunky in so many ways. This isn't at all like the subtlety I remember from Snyder's other books -- which I think maybe I should also revisit, to see how they feel to me now.

On the other hand, from what I understand Snyder didn't write any other fantasy or science fiction books, so perhaps the information-dumping and failures of psychological subtlety in this book come more from inexperience in a challenging genre than from any general failures of craft or imagination. Also, I understand that Snyder was heavily involved with the video-game adaptation of "Below the Root," which in contrast was extremely nuanced and subtle for its genre.

In any case, I found the story gripping and I'm interested in Snyder's approach to the "binarisms" of traditional, or Tolkienian, fantasy. I'm looking forward to reading the two sequels -- in part, I have to admit, because I'm hoping their structure and writing will get smoother as the story progresses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Below the Root.

Mary JL Help! I was unaware of the existence of two sequels! May I please have the titles? I have the three books of the original trilogy.

message 2: by Sus (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sus Mary JL wrote: "Help! I was unaware of the existence of two sequels! May I please have the titles? I have the three books of the original trilogy."

Hi! Sorry for any confusion -- I was, in fact, just referring to the original trilogy. (This is a review for _Below the Root_, so the two sequels I meant were _And All Between_ and _Until the Celebration_.) As far as I know, there are no sequels after that.

Mary JL Thank you for your prompt relpy!

(Sigh) But I was really hoping for more books set in the Green Sky World. Ms. Snyder, are you listening? Hint, hint.