Christine Boyer's Reviews > Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba & Then Lost it to the Revolution

Havana Nocturne by T.J. English

Jul 25, 2011

Recommended to Christine by: On John's reading list.
Recommended for: People interested in government intrigue and the plight of small, island countries like Cuba.
Read from July 15 to 25, 2011 , read count: 1

Having grown up in south Florida, I had an early exposure to Cuban culture. Many of my friends had parents who left Cuba during the time of Castro's takeover. This book offered an interesting perspective of that decade right before Castro - the Batista regime and its connection to American mobsters in the 1950's. I thought the author offered a fair portrayal of the mobsters, politicians, etc., though I worried at first that he was making Fidel out as some "rebel hero", but at the end of the book, he tells it like it is. Castro is/was just as sick as Batista "there would be an estimated three hundred executions in the first two months of Castro's leadership" p. 315. My only negative comment is that sometimes the book felt a little repetitious as the author was describing the building of new casinos. Also, it was hard to keep track of all mob guys! It's amazing how many undercover and underground scenarios are played out daily - both in our own government and around the world, which we know nothing about!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Havana Nocturne.