Diane16's Reviews > What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

Jul 25, 11

A quick, easy read about a tough, but somewhat dated subject: the main character Ava Johnson stops by her small hometown in Michigan after many fun-and-sex-filled years in Atlanta. She is HIV-positive and on her way to a new life in San Francisco. While spending time with her sister, she gets caught up in a local situation and ends up falling in love. This book wasn't terribly deep, but I have to imagine that it did a great job at portraying the conflicted, angry (and disappointed) thoughts of an HIV-positive woman. The plot turns were obvious, which took away from my enjoyment of the book. I did like the sense of community portrayed in the book. It's hard for me to remember that there was a time when teenagers wouldn't know what a condom was, or how to use it - but perhaps I'm just naive after all the years of Republicans' still pushing abstinence. This was an entertaining read, but I would probably not recommend it to my friends unless they had a friend with HIV (or were engaging in risky sexual behavior).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day.