Nancy's Reviews > Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir

Girls of Tender Age by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith

Jul 25, 11

I'm torn as to how I feel about this book. The author is an absolutely amazing writer. She really draws you in to the story. She does a good job in the first part of the book weaving together the strands of a story that has affected her entire life--the brutal murder of her childhood friend in the 5th grade. She tells the background of her own life, the serial killer's life, and the world of Hartford, Connecticut in the 1950's. She has a harder time later on in the story describing what happens when the killer is caught, and how the people in her life moved on after her friend's murder. There is one part of the story that is just absolutely gruesome--describing what happens in the electric chair. She doesn't pull any punches in that part of her description. She does leave some questions unanswered in the end. Overall, a good story, but sad and bittersweet. It did make me want to read some of her other writing. I'm interested to see how she used her life events to color her fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls of Tender Age.