Soh Kam Yung's Reviews > Life Stories

Life Stories by David Attenborough

Dec 30, 13

bookshelves: anthology, nature, reference
Read in July, 2011

An entertaining book that is part biography and part natural history. This book is a transcript of a series of 10 minute monologues by Attenborough that were originally broadcast by the BBC but enhanced with photos and images that illustrate the points Attenborough makes in his talks.

You can read this book before, after or while listening to the transcripts (available as Audio CDs from the BBC). You will find yourself entertained as Attenborough gives his personal perspectives on the subject of his talk.

The subject I found most interesting was the one on salamanders, because they are rarely featured in nature documentaries and are a early fascination with Attenborough who raised them as pets in childhood. I had to surpress a loud laugh at the end when he admits that when he gave some baby salamanders to his friends, he did not mention that they will live a long time.

However, I have to deduct a star from this review due to the bad formatting of the text in the book. It appears that the font used to layout the text on a computer did not match the actual font used for printing, causing words to distort, split or run together. I never expect this kind of formatting error to still happen now.

Still, a wonderful book that lets you into the mind of one of today's talented natural history narrators.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Stories.