Henrik Andersson's Reviews > Astrotruckers

Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi

Jul 25, 11

Read in July, 2011

On the recommendation of Tom Holts review in SFX Magazine, i picked this one up. That was a very good move. Mikael Niemi, who for most of Swedens population is the author of the hugely popular "Populärmusik från Vittula" (also successfully filmed) had not been the object of my attention, because I generally loathe Swedish film and anything that remotely resembles coming-of-age dramas.

This is an entirely different beast, I'd wager. A collection of 14 short stories pertaining to humanitys travels to space in the future, and earth events leading up to it. And some other stuff.

It's an admirable mixture of high and low-brow humour, along with perfectly plausible and entirely implausible events. You'll never be really convinced that bad luck is actually small black particles called Axel, but it's told in such a way that if it wasn't completely ludicrous it sounds like it could have really happened.

I can only be envious of Niemis brain and how it thinks of these fantastic ideas and manages to write them in such an entertaining and, for short stories, so fully formed manner. I can only recommend this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Astrotruckers.