Ami's Reviews > Used Car Buying Guide 2003

Used Car Buying Guide 2003 by Consumer Reports

1909118
Jul 25, 11

Obviously, a little out of date. Some good checklists for things to note about the next car, things to ask the seller, etc. Info on specific makes/models, although a little conflicting information on one I was looking at--VW Jetta. Listed as a car with low reliability ratings, then listed as good to excellent on almost all of the standards of ratings. Probably the most helpful of all the books so far.

A note--in the list of things to ask sellers, it recommends you start out with the question "what color is the car", as an icebreaker. I firmly believe that if you are a youngish female, that question is going to give the wrong impression of you. I tried it when calling a seller listed in the classified, and instead of being an icebreaker, the guy clearly thought that I was someone to whom the color is important...he even brought it up again at the end and finished the conversation with the phrase, "It's a wicked pretty aqua blue". Um, no thank you. Never again. I think it's better, especially for females probably, to start with a question like, "Can you tell me how's it equipped" and asking about things like ABS or the transmission or something.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Used Car Buying Guide 2003.

message 1: by Moe (new)

Moe On the Car Talk website (NPR, "Click & Clack") there is a section just like this. I found it to be very helpful when I was in the market for a used car. I then took my Honda to Russ to look at it before finally purchasing it. The combo of Click, Clack, & Russ empowered me to make good choices.

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami I've been using that website too!