Jane's Reviews > So Cold the River

So Cold the River by Michael Koryta

Mar 19, 14

Read from July 25 to 27, 2011

So Cold the River is a chilling thriller about a "failed" filmmaker named Eric Shaw being sent out to create a documentary on a dying old man by the name of Campbell Bradford. Little did he know, there is a dark secret to the bottle of Pluto water he is given and the history in which it comes from.

This is my second Michael Koryta book -the first being The Ridge- and I have to say that I enjoyed it even more so. My experience with The Ridge was that it was hard to put down and that I wanted to read the whole book in one sitting. However by the end of it, I was left with wanting more from the characters itself -- the whole thing felt a little rushed, though still a fun read! So Cold the River was kind of the opposite for me. Koryta spent plenty of time developing his characters and while it wasn't as "unputdownable" as The Ridge, the overall outcome was better.

I've never been reader of the supernatural thrillers, but Koryta makes me eager to read more of his work. I like his style of writing, it's comprehensive and easy to read with enough detail to let the reader really envision the setting and characters of the book. I look forward to reading The Cypress House and his other upcoming works!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Cold the River.

07/25/2011 page 54