Carolyn's Reviews > The Red Queen

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Jul 25, 11

Read in July, 2011

This book covers the life of Henry Tudor's (Henry the 7th) mother Margaret. She is given in marriage at the age of 12 with the sole purpose of producing an heir for her family. She has a son at age 13 (!) who is third in line to the throne. Her first husband dies, she proceeds to be married to two other men all for reasons other than love. All the while, she wishes she were a nun and spends hours a day praying. The poor woman would have been well-served to own a few commentaries to even out her one-sided understanding of theology (which was: my family is entitled to the throne even if we have to kill innocent children to reclaim it). Have bitter-sweet thoughts about this book. I enjoyed the action and new understanding of royal life in England in the 1400s. Am now interested in reading more on this topic. However, as this book is written as historical fiction I'm not sure how much of my new understanding is fact or fiction. Was Thomas Stanley truly as double-faced and spineless as he is written in this book? Was Margaret really that religiously self-absorbed? I thought the writing was great and look forward to more books by Gregory. Are they all this long?

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Queen.