Wendy's Reviews > So Yesterday

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, young-adult, trio-on-trends
Read from August 11 to 12, 2011

This book gets the Nod from me.

Classic Westerfeld, both in the sense of it being an early work of his and in having his typical fast-paced, chock-full-of-great-ideas-that-peter-at-the-end-a-bit style.

Hunter is a cool-spotter on the lookout for the next big thing. He runs into Jen, an Innovator at the top of the coolness pyramid, and his life of trend-hunting and focus-group meetings gets a lot more exciting as they track down some impossibly cool shoes and uncover the secrets of the anti-client.

The book had several interesting secondary characters occupying various niches of coolness. I particularly liked Lexa, the clean-freak techie who's a machine for turning coffee into special effects. She explains that all those shows that fix blurry pictures are fake. (Yes!) She also believes typographical laziness is slowly destroying our culture, that inexactitude is death. Sign me up for SHIFT, the capital letters movement!

Unlike many of Westerfeld's other books, this one's actually set in the real world. Although Hunter goes out of his way to avoid naming brands most of the time, you know what he means. As a book about coolness and trends it has moments of feeling dated already. But somehow it made me want to tie my laces like Jen's and get a wi-fi detecting bracelet. (And maybe even to wear roller skates everywhere for a while.) It's full of neat factoids and also surprisingly funny at times. I sped through it and enjoyed the ride quite a bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Yesterday.

Quotes Wendy Liked

Scott Westerfeld
“Sometimes the facts in my head get bored and decide to take a walk in my mouth. Frequently this is a bad thing.”
Scott Westerfeld, So Yesterday