KC's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: own
Read from August 01 to 03, 2011

Wow! I know I mentioned once before that I normally don't read the big bestsellers right away because I think a lot of times books can be hyped up too much. But this book deserves all the hype it can get. I found The Help to be wonderful, inspiring, funny, scary, and a great read.

Its 1962 and 'Skeeter' Phelan just graduated and moved back home to a criticizing mother and no husband or boyfriend. But Skeeter has dreams of being a writer... which leads her eventually to the idea of writing about the help, the colored women who work for the rich white women in Jackson, Mississippi. The social rights movement is beginning to get off the ground and Skeeter gets a little positive feedback from an editor at a publishing company in New York City for her idea.

Skeeter is young though and doesn't realize how difficult it will be to get the maids to talk to her. She will have to cross the color line, and when she does, she'll begin to understand just how dangerous the territory is that she has entered.

Aibileen, the first colored maid that Skeeter befriends is a wonderful woman and my favorite character. She is wise and loving, which is apparent in the care she shows for the little white girl that she cares for in her job.

The maids stories are wonderful and sad. I think Kathryn Stockett did a great job portraying the early 1960s in the south. I don't want to give any more away... so go ahead- believe the hype and read The Help.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.