Laura's Reviews > Lady of Hay

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine

Oct 20, 14

bookshelves: other-era-romance, fantasy, weird-worlds
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I don't think I liked this one, yet I couldn't stop reading it. I think reading it showed how much romance has changed in the last 25 years. It kept my interest and I had to read the whole story, despite knowing the ending, but I was annoyed by most of the story!

There was a lot of telling but not showing - we were constantly told how Jo was a strong, feisty woman, but we never saw it. We never got a hint of the hard-hitting articles she wrote that made her so respected. We never found out what she saw in any of the men in her life. We were told she loved Nick, but not given any reason why. We were told Nick loved her, but never saw that.

Matilda's story, although tragic, was much better. There was more of a sense of why she was doing things and her feelings and motivations. She acted on things, not just allowed things to happen.

I was definitely disappointed by the ending with Jo and Nick ending up together. I didn't have a real feeling of the story being over. The issues that supposedly broke them up in the beginning of the story weren't discussed at all. It seemed less like a HEA ending and more like two self-destructive people going further into a control spiral.

I got this for my Kindle, but I'm probably going to delete it. Despite my love of medieval romances, it won't be a re-read.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Hay.