Lex Marie's Reviews > Kieli, Vol. 1

Kieli, Vol. 1 by Yukako Kabei

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, great-not-favorite
Read in July, 2011

Kieli drew my attention one day while scanning the manga section of Borders. The synopsis on the back was vague, but piqued my interest enough for me to pick the two volumes up.
Kieli follows the story of Kieli, a young girl who is brought up by the church (which has total control over society) after her grandmother passes. She finds it strange that there's no God in the church and has her own theory as to why that is. Kieli has the ability to see the dead and when she meets Harvey, one of the last remaining Undying, who can also see them, she teams with him and our story begins.
While the story is pretty creative and fresh, it does take the entire first book to get off the ground and the climactic moments, I felt, were lacking in action and length. I also found myself getting easily confused within the first chapter, though it does clear itself up. One annoying thing about this book is the continuous repetition of the storyline at the beginning of each new chapter. This isn't uncommon for manga, but when it's the exact same thing copied and pasted without being shortened, it's annoying to reread.
Another strange thing is the characters' mood swings. Harvey's character seems to go from being cold and overly collected to showing affection for Kieli without any real enlightening reason. Our first ghost and Kieli's best friend, Becca, goes from being sweet to malicious to understanding in the blink of an eye.
Even with all of these oddities, Kieli is well worth picking up. The story is different, the artwork is good, and it does leave you wanting more. It'll be interesting to see how the story unfolds in the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kieli, Vol. 1.