Larry Hoffer's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Jul 25, 11

I'm a big David Sedaris fan, but I didn't love this book as much as some of the others. When I read "Barrel Fever" and "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim," I found myself laughing out loud numerous times. In this book, there were a few stories that made me laugh out loud, but mostly I smiled or chuckled. Not a bad track record, of course, but just not as uproariously funny as others. My favorite stories were those that chronicled his interactions with other people--the one with him fighting with the woman who sat next to him on the plane (I did laugh out loud during this one); the story of Helen, who lived in the same apartment building he and Hugh did; the horrible babysitter, Mrs. Peacock; and the final story, which chronicled his attempt to quit smoking while living in Japan. Those new to David Sedaris, I would recommend you start with a different book so you truly appreciate his amazing sense of humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.